Get a free valuation

Get an instant valuation here or contact one of our offices

I have seen a property through Butler & Stag, how do I secure it?

How Do You Take Payment?

What Are Butler & Stag's Fees?

Having researched the market, we believe that our fees are competitive and represent value for money for the high level of service we offer. To see a full range of our fees click here.

How Long Can I Rent The Property For?

The term of agreement needs to negotiate as part of your offer. The most common tenancies are 12 month Assured Shorthold Tenancies (AST's). Tenancies for less than 6 months are recognised as short lets.

You are legally obliged to pay rent until the end of the tenancy agreement or any release clause agreed.

Can I Have A Break Clause?

You would need to request a break clause as part of your offer. Landlords are more likely to offer break clauses for winter move ins, anyone moving in over the summer (peak lettings season) can expect less flexibility as landlords are reluctant to take vacant possession back in the winter.

Why Do I Need To Pay A Tenant Deposit?

The deposit is usually the equivalent of five or six weeks rent if the total annual rent exceeds £50,000 and it guarantees the landlord that when you move out, the property will be left in comparable condition to when you moved in.

Our inventory specialists will ensure that any defects upon move in are detailed in the inventory. If you maintain the property to the same standard, you can expect your deposit to be returned in full.

What Else Will I Need To Pay Before Move In And When Should This Be Paid?

Before you are handed keys to the property we require cleared funds on account for; advance rent and tenants deposit. Our lettings administrators will organise payments with you, before move in.

Who Holds The Deposit?

When Butler & Stag are managing the deposit will be registered with the DPS. If the landlord is managing in some cases we still register the deposit, otherwise it is the responsibility of the landlord.

I Have A Dog/Cat, Will This Pose Any Problems?

This very much depends on the landlord’s view of pets within their property. Some landlords may decide that they don't want to open their property up to the risk of being damaged.

When Referencing, What Do Look For?

Butler & Stag are well known for the quality of our tenants. Our success for smooth tenancies is based on our strict referencing policy. You will need to provide at least three years employment and three years residential history as well as being credit checked. If criteria is not met then a UK based guarantor may be required or alternatively a bulk rental payment upfront.

I Am An International Student, With No Uk Based Guarantor. Can I Rent A Property Through You

Of course. You will need to pay an upfront rental payment. This is usually 6-12 months rent.

What Happens If The Landlord Withdraws The Property Before Move In?

You will receive a full refund of the holding deposit.

What Happens If I Withdraw My Interest Before Move In?

Irrespective of the reason, you will lose your holding deposit

Who Covers The Utility Bills?

Unless clearly stated 'Bills included' in marketing material of a property, it is the responsibility of the tenant to pay all utility bills including council tax. When Butler & Stag are managing, bills will be transferred into your name along with any meter readings.

I Am Sharing A Property And Want To Leave Mid Tenancy, Can A Friend Take My Place?

Only if Butler & Stag or the landlord give permission for this to happen. The replacement tenant will need to be professionally referenced before the handover can happen. You will incur a £150 incl VAT charge for change of tenant/ £60 incl VAT for each amendment.

I Am Sharing A Property, Can We Pay Our Rent Individually?

Please remember you are renting a property collectively with friends and not rooms individually. Butler & Stag do not offer a room let service. Rents should always be paid on time, in full and from one account.

I Am Sharing A Property And Want To Leave Mid Tenancy, Can A Friend Take My Place?

If Butler & Stag are managing, please contact us. When the landlord is managing, it will need to be the landlord. This will be explained to you during the move in process so there should be no confusion in any case.

Customer reviews

The service provided by the entire team at Butler and Stag is fantastic. From purchasing a plot, to the sale of the properties was run fantastically. Very professional outfit and a pleasure to work with. We certainly will be using Butler and Stag again in the near future. Matthew Hammond

Read more reviews
Our office Google reviews

Our office Google reviews

★★★★★ 4.9 Bow (London Office)

★★★★★ 5.0 Theydon Bois (West Essex Office)

★★★★★ 5.0 Buckhurst Hill Office

Find your next property